Monday, August 24, 2009

A Very Productive and Fun Mess

Matt was gone again this weekend at merge camp for the junior high kids and Cole was with as one of the campers, so I was able to hunker down and get some fun new things designed and finished for the shop! But oh my, my studio looked like a bomb went off in it! The funny thing is, the mess, for once in my life actually fueled my creativity! I am most of the time, unfortunately distracted by messes. There are some pros to this, in that, for the most part, I keep up with the messes in my house just simply so i can function. But it can be a downfall for me as well, when I am not able to just let something go and enjoy something or someone that is more important to my time and effort than cleaning! I am trying to win that battle more than I lose it! I am a real work in progress, for sure. Anyways, I thought I would let you take a peak at how my workspace looked before I tidied up tonight. And then show you what I have been working on!
I just got done with my folding party, loud music an all. All set to change gears tomorrow when we begin back to school here. Hopefully my littlest man will cooperate with his sisters and brother all getting back to their studies, could be interesting!

I am a bit compulsive when I get an idea of something I want to make, one is just never enough because the possibilities are endless and I want to try them all out. I have crates filled for each of these ideas, but enough is enough! I finally broke down and decided no more coming up with new ideas until I actually work through the ones that have been waiting in crates. So, the fun mess I created from all these crates and bins, became bibs, quilts and bean bags. I know, not much rhyme or reason to it, but I did finally give purpose to all the pieces of clothing and linens I had stashed. I finally put my line of eco friendly bibs together and I am so amused with them. All of the bibs were made from clothing or linens, with a few dashes of reclaimed vintage fabric. Here are a few of them that are in the shop.

This one was made from two men's dress shirts.
This one was made from a variety of bed linens.
All made from vintage bed linens-very shabby chic. Almost too pretty to use.
ET phone home! Love it-made from vintage bed linens.
One part vintage mumu, one part Vera bed linens.
The timeless sock monkey made from a pair of Nick and Nora PJ's.

Both sides of this one are made from vintage tablecloths.
This is another one made from a vintage tablecloth.

These bean bags were made from the same Pj's I had made the bib from. But sorry, they sold within a few hours of being listed in the shop!
I was able to use the left over quilt squares from redoing my basements TV room pillows. It turned out to be a fun baby quilt.

4 comments:

  1. u do lovely work! Good luck with back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manda -
    If the monkey bib didn't sell - I want it ! Meg loves monkeys and this will be perfect to put away for "someday"......
    How are you ? Seems like I haven't talked to you in forever - thank heavens Awana starts soon - hopefully I'll get to see you on Sunday nights again!!!

    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Darlene! I am looking forward to being back to the fall schedule at church as well! I have missed you too! I do still have the monkey bib! I will pull it from the shop for you! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just found your blog- i think I will love it; found your etsy shop,too- look at mine- retronona. This sounds just like me-
    "m a bit compulsive when I get an idea of something I want to make, one is just never enough because the possibilities are endless and I want to try them all out. I have crates filled for each of these ideas, but enough is enough! I finally broke down and decided no more coming up with new ideas until I actually work through the ones that have been waiting ..."

    I love the Lord, too- will be in touch

    ReplyDelete