Saturday, May 23, 2009

God's Own Fool

It seemed I've imagined Him all of my life
As the wisest of all mankind
But if God's holy wisdom is foolish to men
He must have seemed out of his mind
For even His family said He was mad(Mark 3:21)
And the priests said the demon's to blame(Mark 3:22)
But God in the form of this angry young man
Could not have seemed perfectly sane

When we in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
When we in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
And so we follow God's own fool
For only the foolish can tell Believe the unbelievable
Come and be a fool as well

So come lose your life for a carpenter's son(Matthew 13:55)
For the madman who died for a dream(Jn 10:19)
And you have the faith His first followers had
And you'll feel the weight of the beam
So surrender the hunger to say you must know
Have the courage to say "I believe"
For the power of paradox opens your eyes
And blinds those who say they can see

-Michael Card

As a child, Michael Card was one of my Dad's favorite singers. Now as kids we tend to not always like our parents music tastes, especially in our teens years, but fortunately, I caught a love for Michael card at a very young age and understood why my Dad enjoyed him so much. I remember going to a concert of his with my Dad and getting the chance to listen to Michael card and my Dad speak briefly afterwards. I think I wore my dad's cassette tapes out listening to them. I am like any other person with music taste, I like an eclectic range of music, but no matter how old Michael Card's music is in relationship to the current styles or my age, it will remain timeless to me, and I think that is because it comes straight from scripture and speaks so strongly of the relationship we can have with the creator.

A year or two ago Matt ordered many of of his older Cds for me from when I was a child. What a gift to listen to all of those songs again. Even when Matt and I were just married we used to lay on the living room floor and just listen to the words., and I have missed that. So, it is good to have these fimiliar friends back for my ears. I thought I would share some of the songs that helped shape my faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment